Friday, September 24, 2010

Travel in your clothes

Being a world traveler, one of the biggest draw and fascination for me is the cultural aspect. I love immersing myself in a culture. It is in a way like being an actor on a movie set, and it makes me realize how in fact the manifest world, and more specifically, the filters and codes of behavior of a culture are a big game we are all playing. Culture and its richness and unique flavor is naturally a reflection of the common values and attention we give the various aspects of life as a group. It is the way we people relate. It harmonizes us into a cohesive community, so we can share common humane experiences, and the rhythms of life. Ritualized points of weight in our life, from the mundane to the celebratory are the structure of our existence. The people in power to control the masses sometime manipulate culture.

When I travel, I love to immerse myself in the culture by wearing what the locals do. Eating the local food, learning some of the local language and local habits and gestures are very useful too, but it seems like magic, when you were the clothes, you are instantly in.

I was looking at my wardrobe the other day, staring at my vast, unique, and colorful assortment of outfits, wandering why nothing seems right today...realizing my clothes are like my travel! Perhaps, if my stars where aligned slightly differently I would have become a fashion designer, or at least a high fashion model, but as it is, I'm on my own, designing my own private show. If I had it my way, I would have traditional garbs of all cultures, and wear a different one every day. (I could probably get by doing so in Santa Cruz). I have a collection reserved for when in India, and another set of clothes that only feel right while in Israel, I have some funky west coast creative garbs, and more and more, random pieces of history and travel in my closet. I love to travel in my clothes. You can time travel wearing something from a time period you wish to experience. I become a different person, and even a different personality, wearing the garbs of a different culture. I'm one of these people my friends always come to when it is Halloween (or Purim) to find some dress up clothing, since my day to day clothes would be a costume to others:)! If you aren't already dressing up just because you fell like it, try it! It is great fun.

As I reflect deeper into 'cultural and historical fashion', I realize American culture, as I experience it, is all about 'casual' and 'functional', and so clothing are casual and functional. At least where I've lived, you can dress casually going to the theater, fancy dinner, or even some wedding parties! There are hardly ever any opportunities to dress up. Japanese culture emphasizes simple beauty and exquisite aesthetic, attention to details. Traditional Japanese garbs are not only comfortable and functional, they are simple, beautiful, attentive to details, and just so, perfect. Indian culture is colorful, overly ornate and rich, and also spontaneous and fluid. The clothing - simple flowing fabrics with outrages colors and designs wrapped around in numerous creative ways, jewelry of every kind decorating the ladies from head to toe. The way we dress tells so much about our culture. About what is important for us, and were do we place our attention. Dressing up, and undressing... can be a ritual in and of itself, every day. In fact, every moment and act of our day if goes by unnoticed, as a means to an end, is wasted, and if executed with care and attention, 'ritualized', is an opportunity to feel alive, and a source of infinite joy. Drinking Tea. Making Breakfast. Washing Dishes. Hanging Laundry. This is our daily life.

One of the things I love most about traveling is the internal travel that occurs while being placed out of my comfort zone, being placed in a new environment that forces me to PAY ATTENTION. The opportunity to re-set my 'view' is precious and allows inner growth and open mindedness. The need to increase my level of awareness, understanding and patience (all qualities I've been spending a life time to develop and yet far from mastered) is unavoidable.

You might be guessing, I'm planning another trip this winter back to India for a month, and I'm looking forward for the various projects and events awaiting me there. I hope to blog again before my departure, and if not, I will be sure to blog from India, sharing some of the mind opening, heart expanding, lively adventure I'm about to behold in December.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I love this, Revital! I've been trying to expand and explore my identity through clothing, been trying to embody somebody who I have yet to become, but am seeking to become. Costume is a very powerful tool. I love your idea of creating a ritual out of getting dressed! I will have to try that this morning and the next.